POSITION: FEDERDAL GRANTS MANAGER
This is highly administrative work which involves supervision of employees and oversight and coordination of federally funded programs.
An employee in this class monitors federal grants programs to ensure administrative efficiency and compliance with federal and local laws and standards. The employee also coordinates financial and grants management activities to include distributing information for federal programs, arranging training sessions and audit entrance and exit conferences. Work is performed under the direction of a higher level officer who assigns duties, and is reviewed for compliance and adherence to established guidelines.
DUTIES AND RESPOSNIBILITES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Reviews and processes federal program documentation to include grants applications, agreements memoranda and letters;
- Collects information and documentation from various sources for delivery to auditors when audit reports are completed;
- Coordinates information and prepares responses;
- Coordinates financial and grants management activities;
- Documents and recommends new procedures for better accountability, controls, record keeping and reporting for federal aid programs;
- Researches historical records for grants and effect draw downs;
- Reviews budgets to ensure proper recording of federal-aid-funds on the Department of Finance system;
- Prepares various reports to be used for internal and external agencies;
- Supervises activities conducted in the Grants Management Office with the support and assistance of assigned personnel;
- Collects information and documentation from various sources for delivery to auditors.
Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWELEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of all aspects of programs development;
- Knowledge of and ability to understand and implement programs within federal guidelines;
- Knowledge of Government Financial/Cost Accounting;
- Knowledge and ability to conduct training and seminar sessions;
- Ability to coordinate activities between federal program managers, top management and other federal and local government departments;
- Ability to follow evaluation designs;
- Ability to present ideas clearly and concisely;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Work is assigned to the employee from the immediate supervisor. Some assignments are received from the Grants Management Office, and is returned to the supervisor by the employee.
Guidelines include, federal and local laws, rules and regulations, OMB circulars, memos from regulatory departments, including the Office of Management and Budget, Department of Finance and Property and Procurement.
This position entails the financial oversight and review of federal programs/projects within the department/agency. It involves supervision of employees and the programs/projects, ensuring reporting and responding to audits.
SCOPE AND EFFECT
The purpose of this position is to provide general financial management of federal-aid programs. It involves having financial oversight, review and accountability for the federal programs. The ultimate positive impact is to achieve efficient and effective use of federal funds and accountability in reporting.
Contacts are made with federal programs managers, commissioners, directors, other employees and financial officers.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS
Contacts are made to obtain and distribute information regarding federally funded programs and activities.
Work is mostly sedentary. No unusual physical demands are required.
Work is performed primarily in an office setting, where no special safety regulations or precautions are necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelors Degree in Business, Social Sciences including six (6) credits in accounting, or any other related field; plus at least three (3) years experience working with federally assisted programs (one of which should be in a supervisory or lead worker capacity).
No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Complainant may write to: Director Director
Division of Human Resources Division of Human Resources
2133 Hospital Street 1834 Kongens Gade
Christiansted, VI 00820 St. Thomas, Virgin Islands 00802