THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Computer Operator II
LOCATION: St. Thomas/ St. John District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: November 19, 2016
Starting Salary: $23,834.00 Grade: EC-18 Step:0
Union: Support Staff (AFT)
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
This is highly specialized technical and lead supervisory work in the operation of the general-purpose digital computer and its peripheral equipment.
Employees in this class serve as lead operators for the complete processing of job production runs on the computer system or operate the most complex and sophisticated computer equipment. Work involves preparing the computer system for operation and performing operations according to schedule and program instructions. The most important aspect of the work is maximizing production while minimizing processing time through operator intervention in resolving computer halts. Work may include instructing subordinate operators and trainees. Employees are expected to use initiative and judgment in solving machine or production halts. Employees are further responsible for assisting in maintaining work schedules by a technical supervisor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Resolves operation halts by revising existing or devising new operating techniques;
- Prepares data for a computer run while other jobs are being run;
- Recommends improved service routines, production techniques and modifications or additions to equipment;
- Observes and controls the course of jobs being run on the computer system;
- Takes immediate action to correct any machine malfunction;
- Assists in the orientation of operators in a lower classification;
- Prepares job streams and job control cards;
- Acts as operations supervisor when required;
- Performs related work as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the operation and care of the digital computer and its peripheral equipment;
- Knowledge of computer operating systems and preparation and use of job control cards;
- Knowledge of peripheral operational methods and techniques;
- Knowledge of programming principles and techniques;
- Knowledge of the capabilities of the general-purpose digital computer and its peripheral equipment;
- Knowledge of the principles and methods used in obtaining maximum utilization of computer equipment;
- Ability to operate a digital computer and related data processing equipment;
- Ability to follow detailed program instructions;
- Ability to instruct subordinate employees in the methods of operations to be followed in preparing data;
- Ability to work effectively with programmers, subordinates, associates and others;
- Ability to reason and think logically;
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of subordinate employees.
Completion of the twelfth grade and four years of experience in the operation of data processing machines, one of which must have been at the level of a Computer Operator or a related position.
“No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at http://jobs.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to email@example.com for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTED
FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.