THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: School Nurse
LOCATION: St. Croix District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: Until Filled
Salary Range: Starts at $44,000
Union: American Federation of Teachers
Under general supervision from the school principal the individual would perform professional nursing work in a public school setting. An employee in this class works as a member of the school staff and is responsible for assisting in the professional nursing activities concerned with a variety of school health matters such as health appraisal, emergency care of accidents and illness, record keeping, and periodic instructional activities. The employee is expected to use acquired nursing training and some judgment, specifically in handling emergency and accident situations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Promotes and protects the optimal health status of school-age children;
- Conduct and provide health assessments by screening and evaluating findings of deficiency in vision, hearing, growth, etc;
- Coordinates school and community health activities;
- Attends to students who are injured or who become ill while at school, administers first-aid and other emergency nursing treatment, and arranges for medical attention where the circumstances indicate;
- Assists in selecting first-aid supplies to be kept at the school and secures and carries out medically approved written instructions for care of sick or injured students;
- Provides ongoing health counseling with students, parents, school personnel and various health agencies;
- Excludes and readmits students in accordance with existing school health regulations and policies.
- Assists with in-service training activities for students, parents and school personnel in such subjects as nutrition, rest and relaxation, communicable diseases and home health care;
- Maintains accurate and clear records of the health of school children in accordance with applicable regulations and procedures;
- Assists teachers and health authorities when special community health programs are carried out;
- Perform other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of modern nursing principles, practices and techniques and the ability to apply them to school health situations;
- Considerable knowledge of departmental policy, regulations, and procedures applicable to the school health program;
- Knowledge of the methods of prevention and control of communicable diseases;
- Ability to explain the principles of the school health program to parents and students;
- Ability to prepare instructional material for in-service training purposes and to impart such information to persons undergoing such training;
- Ability to use modern and acceptable professional nursing techniques and procedures in treating illness or injury;
- Ability to develop and implement a student health plan;
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate detailed clinical records on the health of students;
- Ability to exercise patience while dealing with students;
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with all those contacted during the course of work;
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment in carrying out functions of the position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing and a minimum of two (2) years of progressively strong working experience in a clinical setting;
- Possession of a current license to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the United Sates Virgin Islands;
- Possession of a current motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the United States Virgin Islands.
No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Send your complete application package to email@example.com for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licenses, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.