THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Administrative Officer II
LOCATION: St. Thomas/St. John District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: July 29th, 2016
Starting Salary: $ 26,960 GRADE: EC-20 STEP: 0
Union: Support Staff Unit – (AFT)
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
This is complex administrative work in assisting a higher level administrator with the management of a department. An employee in this class is responsible for performing administrative staff assignments and office management work. Work differs from that of Administrative Officer I by the complexity of assignments and independent decision making, but an employee is allowed to use his or her own judgment where necessary. General supervision is received through conferences, and review of work for compliance with departmental rules and regulations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE):
- Assists in planning, developing, and executing operating procedures for agency or division; participates in the planning, and programming of agency activities, and assists in formulating work schedules.
- Provides administrative staff support in the areas of fiscal management, personnel management and other administrative functions.
- Supervises the maintenance of files and records, supplies and materials and the preparation of reports.
- Prepares budget estimates of funds needed by the organizational unit suggesting needs for additional equipment, supplies, or personnel.
- Ensures compliance with the laws, rules and regulations, and policies governing budgetary and fiscal mattes, recommending when certain expenditures should be made, and informs proper authorities on the availability of unexpended funds to avoid overspending.
- Acts as personnel officer in a small or non-technical department in such matters as employee records, pay administration, recruitment, position classification, training, and other related aspects of personnel administration.
- Functions as a representative of the department or division; discusses and interprets the department programs and procedures.
- Ensures that personnel are informed of new or revised operating policies and that they are properly implemented.
- Performs liaison work on behalf of superior with other officials and groups.
- Prepares reports on the operation of a unit groups of small units for use higher level departmental officials.
- Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Considerable knowledge of the general theory and principles of budgeting, general procurement and supply personnel administration, and decision making in public administration;
- Ability to interpret and understand complex procedural and general administrative legislation, rules and policies;
- Ability to assist in the formulation and execution of agency policies and programs;
- Ability to participate in the planning administration of a complex agency functions;
- Ability to assign work and to supervise staff of clerical and supervisory personnel;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from a recognized college or university with major work in Business Administration or related field and two years administrative experience; OR
- Two years experience as an Administrative Officer I; Or
- Three years experience as a Junior Manager Assistant
“No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at www.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTEDFOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.