Letter from Commissioner
Dear Educators, Educational Leaders, and Educational Support Staff
Welcome back to another year of destiny being fulfilled! You are uniquely equipped for the role of helping the next generation of Virgin Islands’ leaders step into their greatness and I am grateful you have chosen the Virgin Islands Department of Education as your home to accomplish this important work.
The Department of Education is undergoing transformation. While it may not yet be visible, things are shifting, shaking and moving in what I am certain is the right direction. We are asking the right questions about the way we operate as a department, and have embraced the tough answers. Most importantly, we are encouraged to take the tough steps forward. We are serious about transforming the way we govern ourselves as a government agency from the top down, and are twice-as-serious about the quality of the educational products and services we provide our most-important stakeholders--our students.
I see your passion for educating young minds every day in your work as you go above and beyond, thank you. However, passion alone won’t get us where we need to be in terms of becoming a well-managed, fiscally responsible and effective educational agency. Rather, it is passion coupled with compassion, creativity, commitment to the strategic direction, and hard work that will get us there.
For the 2019-2020 school year, expect to contribute to the strategic planning process as we work to ensure the Department’s roadmap reflects the new direction forward, which is to:
• Build strong foundations through early childhood education programs
• Increase academic achievement through an intentional focus on curriculum and monitoring instruction
• Increase opportunities for students, especially in Career and Technical Education, by building new and strengthening existing partnerships
• graduate self-sufficient young adults by providing a well-rounded education that has prepared them with the knowledge, skills, and ability to succeed in post-secondary education, the workforce, and their personal lives, and
• Provide efficient and effective customer service that benefits students, respects government resources, and serves all stakeholders, including you.
I am counting on your commitment to be a part of the transformation of the Department of Education for the sake of the Territory’s future. Education has always been and will continue to be about the success of our students. I encourage you to remain inspired.
Here’s to a transformative 2019-2020 School Year!