POSITION: Attendance Counselor
An individual selected for this position, will be working as a sub-professional investigative social worker, at the full performance level which involves continuous follow up on student absenteeism from school.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Receives and reviews reports of extended and unexplained absences of students from school;
- Consults with parents via, telephone, mail and home visits to address irregular or unusual attendance patterns of students;
- Assists in directing parents to the appropriate resource personnel or agencies when resources outside the school and home are needed;
- Works in closely coordinated efforts with members of school guidance teams, administrators,nurses and School Psychologists;
- Keeps case records and provided summaries or written referrals to appropriate agencies;
- Follows established policies and procedures for referring the case to the Department of Social Welfare for available assistance;
- Identify the various causes of absenteeism (e.g. economic problems);
- Assists the Department of Social Welfare in obtaining case reports on problems involving school absenteeism;
- Prepares and presents before the police and court, cases of chronic violation of school law as it relates to school attendance;
- Performs other related work as required;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of school law, especially as it relates to school attendance;
- Considerable knowledge of theory, techniques, and procedures of social case- work;
- Knowledge of the procedures involved in maintaining accurate records;
- Ability to exercise patience and deal tactfully with students and parents;
- Ability to recognize and assemble pertinent information gained from interviews;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with all persons contacted during the course of the work;
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment in carrying out functions of the position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- An Associate Degree required. Bachelor Degree is preferred. Minimum of five (5) progressive years of varied experience in the collection and investigation of information regarding school absences.
“No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”