THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Speech Therapist
LOCATION: St. Croix District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: Until Filled
Salary Range: $ 44,000- $48, 475
Union: American Federation of Teachers
This is professional work in developing communication abilities and skills for children having communication disorders. An employee in this class is responsible for assessing, evaluating and analyzing speech and hearing impairments and provisions of remedial therapy. Work involves routine screening to detect communication difficulties, describing and summarizing individual progress in acquiring communication skills, conducting speech therapy classes and providing individualized therapy. Work is performed under general supervision from the Director and/ or Speech Pathologist. Work is reviewed through observation of results and staff conferences.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Administers articulation and hearing examinations and performs diagnostic evaluation tests;
- Conducts group and individual therapy sessions utilizing a variety of speech and hearing therapy program;
- Prepares and maintains testing, evaluation and progress records for participants in the speech and hearing therapy program;
- Counsels parents or family members regarding therapy programs;
- Confers with speech therapist, psychologist, physicians, and other professionals regarding plans and procedures for speech and hearing diagnosis and therapy and to discuss individual cases;
- Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of approved principles, practices, and techniques in individual and group treatment of a wide array of speech and hearing impairments;
- Knowledge of speech testing and evaluation procedures;
- Knowledge of federal laws governing the provision of speech and language therapy;
- Knowledge of hearing defects and their significance;
- Knowledge of the principles of psychology and education as related to teaching and working with individuals having speech and hearing impairments;
- Ability to perform speech and language therapy services in accordance with established guidelines and standards;
- Ability to operate special equipment such as pure tone audiometer and to interpret test results;
- Ability to prepare accurate detailed records;
- Ability to exercise patience while dealing with children;
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with all those contacted during the course of work and demonstrate sensitivity, empathy and adaptability.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Speech and Hearing Therapy, Speech Pathology, or Audiology, and a minimum of two (2) years of experience as a speech therapist, one of which shall have been with children.
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at www.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to email@example.com for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licenses, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized by this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expense associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate