Mathletes appeared at UVI’s ACC Building to battle for the championship title at the 2020 MATHCOUNTS St. Thomas – St. John District Chapter Competition on Thursday, February 27, 2020. Teams from Bertha C. Boschulte Middle School (BCB), Addelita Cancryn Intermediate & Jr. High School, Antilles School, and Virgin Islands Montessori School & International Academy participated in this year’s competition.
Antilles School eighth-grader Julien Loewenstein was the top scorer in the written portions of the competition and Loewenstein won the Countdown round where he went head-to-head with Gabe Hatfield of Antilles School.
Ranked by most points, the top 10 mathletes for the STTJ District are:
1. Julien Loewenstein, Antilles School
2. Gabe Hatfield, Antilles School
3. Jackson Auchincloss, Virgin Islands Montessori School
4. Krishna Daswani, Antilles School
5. L’Rynzo Abraham, Bertha C. Boschulte Middle School
6. Amelie Zucker, Virgin Islands Montessori School
7. Dhruv Rupani, Antilles School
8. Ajay Mirpuri, Antilles School
9. Miles Tolud, Antilles School
10. Madelyn Avery, Antilles School
*Alternate- Tanmay Totwani, Antilles School
The Top 10 students from the district will compete against the Top 10 of the St. Croix District at the State MATHCOUNTS Competition in St. Thomas on March 30.
Following the state competition, four winners will be selected to represent the Territory at the 2020 Raytheon MATHCOUNTS National Championship.
Local sponsors of the 2020 MATHCOUNTS STTJ District Chapter Competition include the Department of Education and the Rotary Club of St. Thomas II.
MATHCOUNTS is a nationwide mathematics program that pushes middle schoolers to test their knowledge of various math concepts in a Bee style format. Students battle individually and in teams through several written rounds topped off with an intense timed round where students work swiftly to beat their challengers and the clock.