THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Administrative Secretary I
LOCATION: St. Croix District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: January 22, 2017
Starting Salary: $20,318.00
Union: American Federation of Teachers - EC- 12- 00
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
An employee, in this class, under general supervision, performs highly secretarial limited administrative or office management work uses some latitude in interpreting, explaining, and applying routine policy, procedures, and regulations and makes independent work decisions within a definite scope requiring knowledge of departmental policies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE):
- Takes and transcribes dictation, screens calls and appointment schedule for supervisor;
- Interprets and explains rules, regulations, and policies to office personnel, employees in other offices, and to other persons contacting the office;
- Plans, assigns and supervises the work of small number of clerical workers engaged in typing, filing, stenography, account clerk work and other clerical duties;
- Prepares non-technical reports on the operation of the unit for signature of supervisor;
- Interviews persons appearing at the office directing them to the other appropriate offices or otherwise assisting them to perform their business;
- Supervises the preparation of pay documents and personnel transactions forms affecting employees and officers of the agency;
- Receives and distributes incoming mail; prepares and signs routine correspondence.
- Schedule supervisor’s appointments and travel;
- Makes or supervises the making of supplies and equipment inventories;
- Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Considerable knowledge of the policies, rules, regulations, and procedures affecting operation of the agency;
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of management;
- Ability to interpret, explain and apply general and routine policy, rules regulations and procedures;
- Ability to organize, assign and supervise the work of a small or moderately sized staff or clerical employees;
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, orally and in writing;
- Skill as a typist, and where necessary, as a stenographer.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Two years secretarial certificate from an accredited secretarial school; or completion of the twelfth school grade including or supplemented by general commercial subject and four years clerical experience including two years as Clerk-Typist III or its equivalent.
No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at http://jobs.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to email@example.com for consideration.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTED
FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expense associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.