By Cellecia Francis 45 downloads
THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Kitchen Manager
LOCATION: St. Thomas/St. John School District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: April 8, 2019
Starting Salary: $27,040 GRADE: EC-14
Union: American Federation of Teachers
** Please note this position is federally funded and is subject to the availability of funds. **
This is supervisory work that is responsible for the overall operations of the kitchen area within the schools. The incumbent is expected to take responsibility for ensuring that all kitchen staff work as a team to maximize productivity. The incumbent is also responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the kitchen to ensure that the proper types and quantities of meals are prepared on schedule. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of School Lunch.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Estimates from regular and special diet prescriptions, the quantities of food items to be used in the preparation of various meals;
- Requisition from the storeroom food items needed in the kitchen;
- Supervises or participates in the preparation of meals in the kitchen;
- Receives supplies, commodities and other food items for storage in the kitchen, storeroom and checks items for quantity ordered and condition of supplies received;
- Trains newly appointed cooks and other kitchen staff in the proper performance of their duties to include safety techniques;
- Ensures that the kitchen is properly cleaned and sanitized on a daily basis;
- Ensures that food is disposed according to the Department’s and all federal rules and regulations;
- Ensures that food looks and tastes appealing;
- Ensures that food is cooked properly, proportions are accurate and served on schedule;
- Supervises the cleaning and proper maintenance of kitchen equipment;
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
·Considerable knowledge of the methods and techniques of large scale cooking, including the use of large ranges and heavy mechanical kitchen equipment;
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and the necessary precautions to be implemented;
- Knowledge of sanitary methods to be used in food preparation and related activities;
- Ability to perform simple mathematical computations, calculations and measurements;
- Ability to instruct and train new employees in their duties;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of kitchen personnel;
- Ability to interpret and explain departmental regulations governing kitchen operations;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all persons contacted in the course of work;
- Ability to use Microsoft Office;
- Ability to develop, maintain, and submit reports;
- Ability to lift 70lbs or more;
- Ability to work for long hours while standing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or equivalent; AND
- Three (3) years of experience in quantity cooking; AND
- Possession of or ability to acquire a food handler’s health certificate.
No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at http://jobs.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTED FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expense associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.