POSITION TITLE: CLERK I
This is simple clerical work that involves simplified varied work methods and problems. Employees in this class are responsible for the performance of simple clerical functions requiring some independent judgment. Work at this level contrasts with the routine clerical tasks of lower-level positions. Work is reviewed to determine compliance with established rules, regulations, and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Maintains filed and records so they remain updated and easily accessible;
- Sort and distribute incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail (envelopes, packages, etc.)
- Utilize office equipment (photocopier, printer, computer, telephone, etc.)
- Monitor office supplies and report shortages;
- Answer the phone and take messages or redirect calls to proper personnel;
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures;
- Ability to understand and carry out simple oral and written instructions;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of the Department’s staff and other external entities.
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
- Graduation from a standard senior high school, including or supplemented by courses in business practice
- Experience in office or related clerical work.
“No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands
Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap or age.”